Instructions Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
If you are going to be sedated (where we put you to sleep) for your procedure, it is important you follow these directions to ensure successful treatment. Please note that not all procedures involve sedation. If you are not sure if this applies to you, please ask.
- Do not eat or drink any liquids (including water) for six hours prior to your appointment. If you have a morning appointment, please do not eat or drink after mid-night.
- Do not smoke any tobacco products for at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery – nicotine and tobacco interfere with the body’s natural healing capability.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- Do not plan to drive or operate any machinery or make important decisions for the 24 hours following anesthesia experience.
- Do wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
Medications & Health
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please call our office for an assessment.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with Dr. Nkungula prior to your surgical date for instructions.